Got hair goals? We know we do! The question remains…can collagen help you get there?
What can cause dull, weak hair?
Dull, weak hair can be caused by a variety of factors, including:
- Lack of moisture: Dry, brittle hair is often a sign of a lack of moisture, which can be caused by using harsh hair care products, excessive heat styling, or not properly conditioning the hair.
- Nutrient deficiencies: A lack of certain vitamins and minerals, such as iron and vitamin C, can lead to dull, weak hair.
- Environmental factors: Exposure to UV rays, pollution, and chlorine or salt water can weaken and dry out the hair, causing it to appear dull and weak.
- Hormonal changes: Hormonal changes during pregnancy or menopause can also lead to dull, weak hair.
- Health conditions: Certain health conditions can cause hair to appear dull and weak.
- Genetics: Some people are genetically predisposed to have weak hair.
- Improper hair care: Using the wrong hair care products, not protecting your hair from damage, or not properly cleaning your hair can also contribute to dull, weak hair.
- Stress: High stress levels can affect the overall health, including the hair health.
- Ageing: As we age, hair may lose its strength, shine and elasticity.
Top Tips For Shinier, Stronger Hair
Here are some tips for keeping your hair looking shiny and strong:
- Use a deep conditioning treatment: Deep conditioning treatments can help to nourish and moisturize your hair, leaving it looking shiny and healthy.
- Use a heat protectant: If you use heat styling tools, make sure to use a heat protectant to help prevent damage to your hair.
- Avoid using hot water: Hot water can strip the hair of its natural oils, leaving it dry and brittle. Try using lukewarm or cool water when you wash your hair to help keep it healthy.
- Avoid using harsh hair products: Look for hair products that are free from sulfates and alcohol, as these can strip the hair of its natural oils and cause dryness and damage.
- Brush your hair gently: Be gentle when you brush your hair to avoid causing breakage. Use a wide-tooth comb or a brush with flexible bristles to detangle your hair.
- Trim your hair regularly: Getting regular trims can help to keep your hair looking healthy and prevent split ends.
- Eat a healthy diet: A diet rich in fruits, vegetables, and healthy fats can help to promote healthy hair growth. Make sure to get enough protein, as it is an important building block for strong, healthy hair.
What is a collagen supplement and can it help?
Collagen is a protein that is found in the skin, hair, and nails. It is an important building block for these tissues and helps to give them strength and structure.
A collagen supplement is a dietary supplement that contains collagen and is often taken to improve the health and appearance of skin, hair, nails, and joints. Collagen supplements can come in various forms such as capsules, powders, and liquids.
Due to its skyrocketing popularity, an increasing amount of research is being conducted into the haircare benefits of collagen. Some evidence suggests that collagen may have benefits for the hair. Studies have found that collagen may help to improve the strength and elasticity of the hair, but more research is needed to fully understand how collagen can benefit the appearance of hair.
Like with any dietary supplement, if you’re interested in trying collagen supplements, it’s always a good idea to speak with your healthcare provider before adding a supplement to your routine.
Learn more about collagen here: